Lisbeta – thou shalt not suffer a witch to live is an opera about misogyny and superstition. A magpie’s laugh echoes across Sund as the parish priest and the new district judge rile up the locals to fear the unknown. Soon, seven women will be executed for a new crime: communing with the devil.
Lisbeta – thou shalt not suffer a witch to live is a musical celebration in which 17th century women accused of witchcraft take power over the logic of hate rhetoric. For Åland's 100th anniversary of autonomy, we are giving Lisbeta and her sisters in woe a voice through a newly written, modern opera.
We say their names.
- Lisbeta Skarp from Persnäs
- Karin Persdotter from Emkarby
- Maria Nilsdotter from Emkarby
- Ebba Hindrichszon from Finby
- Anna Bengtzdotter from Högbolstad
- Ingeborg Olsdotter from Västansunda
- Margreta Mårtensdotter from Norrby
Executed for the crimes the men of power dreamed up. Stripped of their rights, feared by their peers, for witchcraft notorious.
Premiere July 15, 2021 at 7 pm in Alandica Culture & Congress, Åland. Subsequent performances will be 16 July and 17 July, at 7 pm.
Ticket prices: 50€ regular price, 45€ for pensioners, 30€ for people 26 years old and under, 20€ for individual seats on the balconies. A service fee will be added.
- Lisbeta - Sofie Asplund, soprano
- Psilander - Philip Björkqvist, bass-baritone
- Kjellinus - Dan Karlström, tenor
- Karin - Jenny Carlstedt, mezzo-soprano
- Ebba - Therese Karlsson, soprano
- Per - Aarne Pelkonen, baritone
- The magpie - Veli Kujala, quarter-tone accordion
- Music: Karólína Eiríksdóttir
- Libretto: Carina Karlsson and Ida Kronholm
- Conductor: Anna-Maria Helsing
- Choir leader: Pipsa Juslin
- Director: Ida Kronholm
- Choreography: Soledad Howe
- Scenography: Maria Antman
- Costume design: Matilda Karlström
- Mask design: Daniela Krestelica
- Lighting design: Pernille Plantener-Holst
- Producer: Barbro Sundback
Tickets may be purchased from Alandica Culture & Congress. Buy tickets here — welcome!
Check out press coverage in Media och bilder (Media and pictures)!
A star-studded ensemble in the anniversary performances of the opera “Lisbeta”
The Katrina Culture Association reveals the singers who will be in the anniversary performances of the opera “Lisbeta”, 15–17 July 2021. The ensemble includes Åland’s foremost opera singers. Sofie Asplund will play the role of Lisbeta. Philip Björkqvist will carry the role of Judge Psilander. Dan Karlström will be the priest, Kjellinus. Jenny Carlstedt will sing the role of Karin, the woman who was the first victim of the witch hunt. Therese Karlsson will portray the honorable Ebba. As Lisbeta’s husband, Per, we will get to hear Aarne Pelkonen. The most unexpected role as the magpie will be played by accordionist Veli Kujala.
The opera will be performed only three times. Buy your ticket well in advance. https://www.alandica.ax/en
Check out what the press has written about the ensemble in Media och bilder (Media and pictures).
Interview with the main characters on Radio Åland.